Asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota

Q: Son driving my car in MN Pass lane, didn't know the transponder was off. Stopped and ticketed. Options to contest?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Thomas C Gallagher

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: I would try to determine if this is a violation that could trigger a license revocation (if too many within a year, for example), or an increase in insurance rates. If so, I would set a goal of keeping it off my driver's license record. The way to do that is through the court - by preventing a conviction. There is more than one way to prevent a conviction. The most common in a traffic case is called by different names including a "Contiuance WithOut a Plea" (CWOP) with conditions. If the prosecutor agrees to a CWOP, typically conditions include "no same or similar violations" over the following year, and payment of court-prosecution costs (usually equal to or more than the usual fine). You can go to court with or without a lawyer.

1 user found this answer helpful

Jonathan Matthew Holson

  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Rogers, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Go to court and see if you can keep it off of your son's record. If his driving record is reasonably clean, the prosecutor will likely agree to a disposition whereby nothing goes on his record. You may be able to do even better if you can establish that he had the transponder and simply did not have it on vs. driving in the HOV lane without a transponder.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.