Oswego, IL asked in Workers' Compensation for Illinois

Q: I injured my lower back at work and went through the Conservative treatment route without recovering.

After about 9 months and a visit to an IME, surgery was scheduled. Unfortunately, surgery was not successful and I still suffer from a “Pinched” nerve. For some reason, doctor won’t say, surgery was not completed completed and the spine (L4, 5 and S1 was fused together, “as is”). I continued to be disabled and receiving TTD benefits. My surgeon says that additional surgery for me is not possible - moving forward what might be my options. I do wish to RTW; however, the injury was not repaired.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It seems you're asking a medical question. Get a second opinion from another doctor. If you don't have a lawyer, get one ASAP to protect your rights and answer your questions with authority.

If you're asking a legal question as to your rights under the Workers' Compensation Act, most lawyers (including me) would be reluctant to give you an answer of substance without reviewing the medical records. If the medical records justify it and your doctor says you can't work again, you may be entitled to permanent total disability (PTD). This means you'd receive Comp benefits for the rest of your life. On the other hand, if the medical records don't justify a PTD award, you'd be entitled to a permanent partial disability (PPD) award for a number of weeks determined by the extent of your permanent injury.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.