Saint Louis, MO asked in Adoption and Family Law for Missouri

Q: Stepparent adoption?

The biological mom of my 2 daughters lost them to state in 2015 never did anything to get them back my husband and I got the kids and at that time he recieved full custody also, with the bio mom receiving 1 hour supervised visits a week and 2 phone calls. Well she has always been a heavy addict and she only shows up to visits when she wants. She hasn't shown up since February or March this year and has been to jail again and went on the run from law twice I believe she has been on house arrest and she continues to use drugs. She has broke so many promises to the kids and lied so much the kids are sick of it and dont want to see or hear from her anymore. Is there anything I can do to help my kids get away from that nonsense?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: This is something you'll need to consult with a local attorney about to see if judges in your area will modify the judgment. It sounds like you've already gotten everything you can from the court short. You would have to show some sort of detriment to the kids to get no contact between a parent and child. You may want to look into a step-parent adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.