Dallas, TX asked in Probate for Arkansas

Q: My grandmother passed away in February of this year, my family is not close (2 uncles, 1 aunt, then my mom)

My aunts in charge of distributing in will (she lives out of state) , it got out probate in August. I haven’t heard anything since then. Do I need to hire a lawyer? I’ve already been told my name is in the will, haven’t been told anything else. I don’t really know much about this stuff I’m just not sure what to do. Do I wait or hire a lawyer to figure out what’s going on for me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: You can walk into the probate court and ask to see the file. In there you will see the will, which you can read. You can also read up on what happened in the case. Look for the final order of distribution, which states who got what.

If the court is too far away, you can hire a local paralegal service to go into the courthouse and copy the file for you. There will be a fee for the service plus whatever the court charges for photocopies.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.