Houma, LA asked in Child Support for Louisiana

Q: Non-custodial parent has been lying to the state and DCFS about his income since 2002 to avoid child support payments.

I’ve been receiving child support for my son since 2002. Recently I found out that my ex has been lying about income for the last 17 years. His child support payments is based off $4,000 a month. He is making at least $250,000 a year, maybe more. He owns 8 companies that I also recently discovered. He’s been giving fraudulent information to the state and DCFS since 2002. Can I modify my child support order to be retroactive back to 2002? I feel he should be held accountable for lying. We have a court date next month for a modification to the existing child support order that was established in 2002. Also, he was court ordered in 2002 to cover my son on health insurance, which he also failed to comply with.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Call your case worker and give them the information you have discovered. You may want to hire a forensic accountant to build your case for you

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.