Tacoma, WA asked in Car Accidents for Oregon

Q: I just got into a car accident and I do not have a ODL it is suspended:( I was driving my boyfriends car with insurance

I stayed and talked with the person and we contacted insurance company’s. But what do I do now?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Definitely tell your boyfriend's insurance. They will probably cover the accident if you had permission to drive his car and your are not a member of his household. If you are a member of his household meaning you live with him, there may be a clause in the policy which excludes members of the household who are not listed on the policy. These are just educated guesses based on my years of experience doing auto accident cases in Oregon. But what happens can vary depending on the Oregon Insurance Laws in effect at the time of the accident and the language of the policy.

Were you at fault? Were you injured? You probably need to file an accident report with the State of Oregon. If you were injured and the insurance covers the accident then you can apply for PIP medical coverage regardless who was at fault. If you aren't covered by your boyfriends insurance there may still be a a way to get PIP but it may take some research to figure out.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.