Atlanta, GA asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Georgia

Q: Can a person with a court appointed lawyer request a new lawyer or hire a new lawyer?

My sister was wrongfully arrested in Dec 2018 for possession of my legal prescription of Xyrem prescribed to me for narcolepsy. She was pulled over for an "illegal right hand turn" by the city of Woodstock. They found my medication after she gave consent to search. She was dropping off a friend and then was bringing it to me since I had dropped it in her car. She is listed as my Caretaker for the pharma company. Her BF had left his stuff in her car so in fear she "shoved it" it was found "in her" at the jail so the charges were added for crossing guard lines with baggie/pipe. I'm not saying she was right but she never should have been arrested in the first place. period. I proved that the medication was mine legally so she wasn't ticketed for the "illegal right hand turn" and wasn't indicted for my medication, she only got indicted for the crossing guard lines with and the pipe and baggie. We need real help help. The police won't return my medication and it cost $4,500 a bottle.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robbie Levin
Robbie Levin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Marietta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You can certainly hire a lawyer if you have funds to do so. It’s not likely that they will appoint you a new lawyer, but it happens occasionally.

For more info visit my website at

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.