Knoxville, TN asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Do I have to testify if I want to drop charges how do I do so it was for agg assault and kidnapping attempt on myself

This occurred in May between my unborn son father and myself. He was recently arrested! I have health issues! My sister recently passed away! I am just no longer wanting to pursue this charge against him! On a personal note I am on state probation for a situation that occurred back in 2014 I am five years into my 8 now and did not know if I could use that against me or force me to testify considering I’m a victim

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cayley Turrin
Cayley Turrin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Just because you are on probation does not mean the state can force you to testify. The State can subpoena you to testify and you will have to comply with that. These are very serious charges and the State may still want to pursue it even without your cooperation. You can let the State's victim witness coordinator know that you don't want to pursue it though. The best thing you can do is hire him an attorney for his case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.