Longmont, CO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: I am going through a divorce, it is getting ugly.

My soon to be ex husband was abusive during the relationship. I never called the police, or talked to anyone about it. We both drank a lot, however he has videos of me drunk to use as "dirt". He is using my mental state during the relationship against me (I suffer from depression, ptsd, and anxiety). We have two boys together (ages 15mos and 4mos). He wants custodial rights because he deems himself the better parent. He believes that because they are boys and he is a man that our boys need him more than me. He kicked me out of our 5bd3ba home, I now live with my mom with my 3 boys. it is small but doable. He thinks I cannot provide or raise them because me and my family are not loaded with money like his family. He has repeatedly put his hands on my 7yr old (who has witness the abuse towards me as well as my friends) and slaps our 15mo in the mouth for screaming and then yells "BAD, SHUT UP". He signed his rights away to his oldest daughter as well. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you may have already filed a dissolution petition, but if you have not, that is how you would ask the court to decide issues of parenting and property division. You should consult with an attorney given that you have children and a home. Many courts like to see the primary provider stay in the home with the children if at all possible for continuity.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.