Columbus, GA asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Georgia

Q: In the state of Georgia, can a parent legally take their children and not allow other parent to know where they’re at?

No papers or anything have been filed. One parent has moved out leaving the stay at home mom and children home. The father says he can take the children where he wants and doesn’t have to tell the mom where they’ll be. Can a father do that? Or do they have to tell the location so the mother knows?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Are you still married, or have you divorced? It sounds as though you are still married. If that is the case, you both have equal rights at this point to take the children. It's not typically a wise thing to do, however. You should consult with an attorney right away who can review the facts of the case in detail and help you plan the proper course of action. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.