Jacksonville, FL asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota

Q: Is there a length of time the state of Minnesota, anoka county specifically, has to collect a fine if I dont pay it?

I went to get my Florida drivers license but was refused because of a fine that went supposedly unpaid from 2011, 8 years ago. But I was issued a license from Minnesota and traded it for Texas when I moved. 7 years later, Florida wont licence me because of an old fine.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: I'm not aware of any legal time limit. There might eventually come a time when they let it go. Maybe. But generally if one state revokes or suspends a drivers license,that driver won't be able to get another in a new state; until they clear it in the original state. If it were me, I'd need to be a licensed driver. But I've had college student clients without a car wait a while.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.