Pittsburgh, PA asked in Child Support for Pennsylvania

Q: My husband received a letter stating his support case is closed? Not sure what this means?

My husband has been paying support since his ex gf and him split up. He has been over paying as his job kept taking the money out. He has been receiving checks back from support for a few months of random amounts, which we did not understand why either. When he logged onto the online portal for support, it says the case is closed? Never have we seen this before and a letter was mailed to his job to cancel payments as well. We just are not sure why all of a sudden it is closed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: He can find out for sure by contacting your local Domestic Relations Office. Is his child 18 and been graduated from high school? That's the most likely reason. The checks are being sent back to him because he apparently overpaid and didn't owe any more support. Tell him to make the call to solve the mystery

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.