Miami, FL asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Colorado

Q: Am going through a divorce in Colorado, and been paying child support for the last year does she have to report it?

It would be for the financial affidavit, she receives $1000 a month from me but reports only receiving 300 from “support”. They filed this on May 30th 2019 and I haven’t received anything until I was called and told verbally by her attorney today Aug. 31 2019. Feeling lost as to what to do because child support has been taking 65% of my check due to temporary circumstances on her end right before the court hearing and then conveniently changed after I was ordered to pay a rediculous amount. Any help would be appreciated. *I am in arrears, $956 a month in CS is what is court ordered though, $12/ hour due to job market 40 a week= $1920/ month before taxes and child support.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: It sounds like you may be paying child support arrears. She would report the regular child support amount, however would not necessarily include arrears payments because that is not part of the regular child support amount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.