Dallas, TX asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I have two son in pennsylvania, one graduates in May, Does he get removed from the support when he graduates?

I have two sons 17 and 14, The 17 year old turns 18 in April and Graduates in May. Neither his mother or I reside in Pennsylvania any longer. Does he automatically gets removed or do I have to file?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: A notice should be sent out in advance of his 18th birthday, asking his mother, and I believe you as well, whether he should be removed from the order at 18. Obviously, the answer is no because he's not been graduated from high school. If the mother says to remove him at at graduation, then he'll be remove. However a word of caution - when they remove a child under this procedure they do not reduce the amount of the order so, if you want the order to be adjusted to reflect support for one child, you'll have to file a petition to remove the older child and recalculate the order. You should also look into having the case moved to TX if that's where you both now reside.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.