Portland, OR asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Oregon

Q: I asked for sick pay because my made me come to work or I was fired and he would keep my last check. I lost my voice

I was visibly sick , I lost my voice. I cook at a hibachi grill , I couldn't communicate with my customers and I had to work the entire shift. I had to try and yell and my voice was completely gone the next day so I said no when he tried to force me to work. I went to work still sick the next day, while I was cooking tables my kitchen help got drunk with the sushi chefs. I mean really drunk , I had to close by myself , I complained to my boss and I was told to take a couple of days off. I told him I already worked sick and that him making me take two days off was illegal. He said because you don't feel good. I asked for sick pay and he said no , I said isn't it a law he said no. I took a screenshot of the law an sent it to him. 2 hours later he said he was paying all of us for three years of back sick pay. He didn't pay all employees this money . He didn't pay me for the days I asked for . Should he pay liquidated damages for paying us late ? He does his payroll , online payroll co.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I don't believe there are liquidated damages for sick pay violations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.