Englewood, CO asked in Child Custody, Criminal Law and Family Law for Colorado

Q: Who do I contact if I know that there is a court order being violated in relation to a custody order of a minor child.

I was granted 50/50 custody of my 9year old daughter with my ex's mother after a very long CPS intervention. For the last 2years, I have only been granted access to my daughter 2x per week for an hour under the watch of CPS. But I have always learned from my mistakes and got sober for my daughter, and was recently granted 50/50 custody. It was stipulated by the court that my ex however, was not to have contact with her, as he did nothing to comply with the court. I just discovered that both my ex and his mother have been lying to me this entire time, and he has been living in his mothers house with my daughter, which is in direct violation of our custody arrangement. I was never told who to contact if this was happening, and the few people who are aware of what is going on are blatantly ignoring me. What should I do? What can I legally do to get her out of that situation?

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If you ex is violating a court order, you can file a motion to enforce the order or for contempt. You should consult with an attorney to review your court order with you to evaluate recourse.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.