Asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Colorado

Q: Me and my now ex husband lost our child to the state I had a protection order put on him. I almost got custody back and

People in court say if I drop protection order I won't get my daughter at perminant planning trail. Is this legal for them to do? The protection order I put on him was after they took our daughter. But before they took her we both was doing meth and he punched me and kicked me. But I believe now the issue was instigated by drug use. I have done everything they have told me to do and they say that's why I'm getting our daughter back. But because he didn't want to comply with the court they won't help him with visits. My daughter misses her daddy but they say if I modify or drop restraining order I won't get custody of her and she will return to the care of dhs. Is this legal can they take her even though the protection order is a separate case.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The answer depends on the specific facts of your case. If you take an action that the court perceives as not being in the best interests of your child for safety reasons, that will impact an allocation of parental responsibilities decision. You should speak to an attorney to determine the best approach to reach your goals at a permanent orders hearing and to protect your safety and the safety of your child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.