Athens, GA asked in Child Support for Georgia

Q: My ex hasn't paid child support in over 6 years. The arrears are over $31,000.00.

She was served with papers to show up for a contempt of court charge but left Georgia and moved to another state. Several years passed with nothing being done and this past year moved back with her new husband. They both work with her family under the table and I provided all the information I could to child support services. They finally filed a contempt and had her served but when we got to court they asked the judge to give her an extension because she claimed to have quit her job and decided to apply for disability with no paperwork of any kind and had been working just two days before court. What can I do if my case worker refuses to push the support order? How can I get my case enforced. Embarrassing to ask but I have our 3 sons and work two jobs just to barely make ends meet while she is going on vacations and traveling when she isn't working. Doesn't the deadbeat parents act from 1998 cover this and shouldn't I be able to get the support order enforced?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You need to hire a private attorney to sue her for contempt.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.