Oak Grove, MO asked in Civil Litigation, Estate Planning and Landlord - Tenant for Missouri

Q: My question is about a TOD and a verbal contract

If a person was promised TOD of a property, has paid all the Bill's of the person who owns property in exchange for TOD. Has made improvements upon the property, sunk all their money into property. Then owner of property decides to put the TOD into a groups name instead of promised party. Is there anything that person can do before owners death or after?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: Yes, there is a legal remedy for breach of contract IF you have sufficient evidence to prove your case, preferably in writing. If not, this is a hard lesson about the importance of hiring an attorney to document any kind of agreement regarding real estate. That would have been WAY cheaper than litigation will be now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.