Oak Ridge, TN asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Is it a waste of time to appeal a marijuana charge on the grounds that it is for medical use, and could this set a prcd.

I am wondering if I could use an appeal to actually affect positive change in our drug laws in the state of tennessee, as could I make a good enough case for why basic access to medicine not controlled by the pharmaceutical industry is a human right, and therefore make the courts take a second look at cannbis policy within the state

1 Lawyer Answer
Cayley Turrin
Cayley Turrin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Franklin, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Well if you plead guilty then you have only 10 days to withdraw your guilty plea. If you went to trial and lost then yes you can appeal that verdict but honestly it probably wouldn't change the precedent. I have handled several cases with the same reason but the law is the law. Talk to your legislator about changing the law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.