Green Bay, WI asked in Animal / Dog Law for Tennessee

Q: My ex and I split, I moved out took my belongings and dog. The dog is microchipped in my name, my registered ESA dog.

from a licensed therapist as part of my treatment plan. I have the bill of sales for the dog from the dog breeder to me, I have all of his shots in my name and he is on my lease where I have a home in Wi where he was born. She lied and told the cops I “stole $790 in dog toys & her dog” I have my pets mart account with detailed receipts since the day I picked him up, he’s 8 months old. I was charged with “felony theft of $1000 or more” she has no proof of that amount of money in toys stolen and has a check where she put in the foot note “1/2 of Leo and toys” is it still my dog and will I be found not guilty with all my evidence I have? Can I take her to small claims for lawyer and court costs and travel costs?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Hire a criminal defense attorney asap. You may have civil claims for malicious prosecution and other claims. You would be wise do also consult counsel in TN to discuss your options further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.