Smyrna, TN asked in Domestic Violence for Tennessee

Q: I have a former partner who contacts friends and family members and spreads lies and falsehoods to create problems

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Jaksa
William Jaksa
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Toronto

A: Sounds like a petty person that needs time to move on. You can contact the police, they might call him and ask him to stop, but there is not much they can do. You can get a restraining order to prevent him from contact you, but the problem seems that they are contacting others. You can engage a lawyer to draft a cease and detest letter that threatens further civil actions, but that will cost you time and money and you should be prepared to move forward with it. I've always found that silence and time beat these things. Don't engage with them, don't respond to them, don't let them know this is bothering you and hopefully they will move on.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.