Saint Peters, MO asked in Family Law for Missouri

Q: I'm 16 in Missouri and can't find info on what warrants court ordered emancipation

I'm in a situation where I feel like I can provide for myself and I'm unsafe with my family members because my father is abusive and I personally am not safe with other family because of certain beliefs my entire family has. I have a little bit of video of my dad screaming insults and threats to seriously hurt my brother but I don't know if that's enough to help me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You may qualify for emancipation if you can support yourself financially. However, if the situation is as severe as you say, you may want to call family services and inform them of your situation so you can be removed from the home. I would also encourage you to talk to your school counselor or a teacher you trust about your circumstances.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.