Medford, OR asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Oregon

Q: Does my employer have the right to alter my time card simply because he disagrees what I recorded as work time.

We self record are time in 15 min increments on an honor system. The rule is to keep track of your own time since the crew all have slightly different tasks and often clock out at different times. I also keep a log book of all job duties, times, appointments, etc. Last month my boss docked my check by 20 hrs. He said he thought I was recording time that I didn't work. Funny since he was not working with us on any of the days in question. We often work independent or with small crews, some of the other crew that day had recorded different times but some had times that matched mine. Also, I've been working 10 yrs, with Foreman status for 6 yrs. Last year the company lost lots of money from improper bids and bad money management. My boss does all the bids, yet I often run the jobs. He blames me for loosing money and low bids. When I asked him about my 20 hrs shortage he just had dumb answers and basically said to bad. Should I file a wage complaint with BOLI?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You can, but be prepared to be fired. It would be unlawful retaliation, but the wage theft is also unlawful. My suggestion would be to find a new job first.

Also, if you do file a complaint, focus only on the hours docked. The fact that you are a foreman and there were bad bids has nothing to do with the validity of your complaint.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.