Hutchinson, MN asked in Bankruptcy for Minnesota

Q: So I paid a contractor $14k, he stole my money and declared bk. He is now trying to dismiss his bk, what's that mean

He filed ch.7 and had the MN State Attorney file a judgement on him and his company. He filed for bk and now a year later is trying to dismiss it. Does that mean I'll get my money back or what can/should do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You should hire a bankruptcy attorney to file a proof of claim and possibly a nondischargeability complaint in the bankruptcy. If the bankruptcy is dismissed, then you can proceed against him for your money. If it is discharged, you cannot proceed against him. Hire a local bankruptcy attorney and protect your interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.