Longmont, CO asked in Landlord - Tenant for Missouri

Q: Legally, can I do anything in Missouri to get her out ASAP if rent is already 5 days late? What's the process?

My tenant moved in one month ago. I chose her from multiple applicants only because she said she was ready to move in ASAP and assured me that she had all of the money required to move in. I live out of state, so my parents manage a lot of things for me.

Upon receiving keys, the tenant gave my mom a check that was dated for 5 days later and she told my mom not to cash it until Friday. My mom assumed she had an agreement with me and didn't say anything. I texted the tenant and said this would not work, but she could meet my mom on Friday with cash. She showed up and was $100 short.

Fast forward three weeks and the tenant let me know that her rent would be late and she wasn't sure when she would have it. She also stated that she was not going to pay late fees until the front door was painted.

I've offered her three times the option of moving out and getting her deposit back, as I don't think she can honestly afford it. She's refusing. Ideally I would like to end this now.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: A properly worded and lawfully prepared notice can give her three days to either pay in full or move out. If she fails to do either you still have to go through the eviction process. You should consult an attorney

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.