Macon, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: can a first offender buy a gun in GA after the probation period is over. Has been 40 yrs ago

I was convicted of 3 counts of entering an auto in the state of GA. Sentenced to 3 years first offenders probation and completed the sentence. Was 40 years ago. Can I buy a firearm?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Holly G Chapman
Holly G Chapman
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Augusta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you were sentenced under the First Offender Act in Georgia and successfully completed it, you were never convicted of a felony. Although people may not possess guns during the pendency of their First Offender sentences, their civil rights and liberties are not impacted by cases discharged under the First Offender Act. Once you successfully completed First Offender, you had the right to have a gun again.

To be safe, I would contact the clerk's office of the court that sentenced you and verify that your case was sentenced under the First Offender Act and and that it has been properly discharged. Also remember that a completed First Offender sentence is eligible for restriction. Older sentences may not have been restricted (similar to expungement) automatically, but you can still apply to ensure that your criminal record and the court records are appropriately restricted.

7 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.