Atlanta, GA asked in Collections for Georgia

Q: How do I stop a garnishment of pay

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anitra Walker
Anitra Walker
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: There are a few ways to stop a garnishment. First, if you are the defendant, you may have adequate grounds to file a defendant's claim form. This must be done within 20 days after the garnishee (generally the bank or employer) files their answer to the garnishment. Filing bankruptcy is another option to stop a garnishment. You will definitely need to consult with a bankruptcy attorney to determine if this is the best option. Lastly, if the creditor is willing, you may be able to negotiate for the release. Normally, negotiating will require you to make a good faith lump sum payment. I would strongly suggest any agreement be in writing. Consult with an attorney before making any decision, as they will have more specific questions about your particular situation to determine the best approach.

Wishing you the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.