Eugene, OR asked in Family Law and Child Support for Oregon

Q: The Division of Child Support say's I owe over $16.000 dollars in back child support. How can I find out if that is true

And how can I find proof of the payments to my ex. and how can i correct this and stop it from garnishing my wages if i believe it not to be true.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Retrace the payments you made then request a printout of the payments processed by the division of child support and compare the two. If you paid by check then go back to your bank and get bank records. If your payments were from wage withholding then go back to your employer and request your payroll records. Remember that the division of child support will only have records of payments that were processed by them. If you paid your ex directly you will have to prove the payments unless your ex is willing to admit to the payments you made to her. But ultimately you can request a proceeding before a Judge to issue a satisfaction of judgment for the payments you made and that will force the child support division to correct their records.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.