Maryville, TN asked in Family Law for Tennessee

Q: How do I gain guardianship of my mother with Alzheimer's and dementia?

My mother does not have a p.o.a. shes recently been diagnosed with dementia and Alzheimer's. Her bills are not getting paid. She's not eating. She refuses help and meals on wheels. I don't have the income to pay for court costs, how do I take over so she's financially safe and gets the care she needs?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You do not have to spend your money- the cost of a "conservatorship" should be paid from her assets. You will need a sworn statement/affidavit from her doctor confirming the diagnosis of dementia but also stating the doctor's opinion as to whether she can manage her own affairs ( do this first before finding a lawyer- it will be needed no matter who you hire).

Some communities have a "public guardian" who act in this capacity for individuals who have no close family. There may also be "adult protective services" - similar to child abuse services, except for the elderly who might act and start proceedings. The best advice is to consult an experienced family law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.