Madison, WI asked in Civil Rights for Wisconsin

Q: Hi there I feel I was wrongfully issued a trespassing ticket.

I was in a bowling alley around 9 p'cl9ck and asked to leave in a shouting violent matter by the female bartender. I left immediately and an officer was outside on the premises. I told him I was never asked to not come in there, in fact the manager told me I was welcome for food. I was issued a trespassing ticket and an official letter I cannot go on the premises or have contact at 4 o'clock the next day. I feel this in unjustified. I want to submit a complaint against the police department and the bowling alley. How can I be submitted a ticket when I was never formally notified I was not to come in there?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William F Sulton
William F Sulton
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: You may file a complaint against the police department. The department should have an internal review mechanism. I will warn you, however, that that is unlikely to produce a satisfying outcome. Similarly, you can file a complaint against the bowling alley with its management. As with the police department, such a complaint is unlikely to produce a satisfactory outcome.

Your other option is to file a lawsuit. In order to evaluate that option, you would need to review the police reports and other reported information to determine who made the error.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.