Conway, AR asked in Child Custody for Arkansas

Q: My kids live in ar and their dad filed for custody in ga. What can i do

I left because of domestic violence...we moved 6 months ago and he has a xhild support hearing tomorrow...he only filed cause i filed for support...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dustin A. Duke
Dustin A. Duke
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: There are a few issues that you are facing with the Georgia lawsuit. The first is whether Georgia has jurisdiction to decide custody or does Arkansas now have jurisdiction. If there is a previous custody order out of Georgia or if your ex filed suit for custody in Georgia within six months from the date you and the children moved, then Georgia will have jurisdiction. If there is no custody order and if you and the children lived in Arkansas six full months before your ex filed, then Arkansas will have jurisdiction to decide custody. If Georgia does have jurisdiction, you will need to defend against the lawsuit in Georgia. You still may be able to get jurisdiction transferred to Arkansas, especially if there is domestic violence involved, but you should hire a Georgia attorney to assist you. Even if you have lived in Arkansas six full months before your ex filed in Georgia, it would be a good idea to raise the lack of jurisdiction issue in Georgia (to let that court know that it shouldn't be making orders on custody). Again, a Georgia lawyer can assist with this. If Arkansas does have jurisdiction, it would be a good idea to get a custody order out of Arkansas. Although, under Arkansas law, if the children were born out of wedlock the mother has legal custody, because you are dealing with an abuser and because there are multiple states involved an order making it clear that you have custody would be helpful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.