Carmichaels, PA asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Pennsylvania

Q: Hello. My baby sister is going to be 13yrs old in a few months. She is desperate to move out of my parents house.

She wants to live with me badly because of the abuse that goes on at home. Which I know of because I had to endure abuse myself when living with them. I am 33yrs old. My parents are narrcistic. They won't even allow her to visit me or we can't talk on the phone or anything. Because they know She'll tell me what's going on. She's trapped there with no friends, no family. They have her stuck. She's also homeschooled. What can I do? She's also been suicidal because she said she hates her life. She's been having to sneak to talk to me online. She found me randomly after two years of not being able to get in touch or find me because of them. I feel for her because I've been there. She also gets mistreated by my older brother and younger brother. One is 34 and the other is going on 18. I also have another sister who's an adult but has a mind of a child (mentally challenged) who also endures abuse. Please help me on what to do. Can my baby sister leave home or at a cetain age without consent?

1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If the abuse is *physical* abuse, you should contact the Children & Youth agency for the county in which your sister lives. Even if it's only mental/emotional abuse, I'd contact that agency and let someone know what's going on. Hopefully they'll open up an investigation and get to the bottom of things.

Best of luck to you and your sister.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.