Muskego, WI asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: I have sole custody / primary placement. Can I move out of WI or will I need to get permission?

We were never married, current orders only state visitation details. Dad is to submit to me monthly drug test results in order to see child..he has been out of jail since March of 2019 has not given me any results or complied with order. Dad spent 3 years in jail on for felony gun and drug charges. He is on probabtion for 4 years, he is 12,000 in arrears for child support and isnt paying support at the moment. Child support has issued a final notice for license suspension. Do I need to fight him on moving out of state? Do I need permission from the dad? And would a judge likely Grant me permission to leave? Interested in re locating out west, my daughter is 12 and wants to move as well. She has no desire to see her dad. My current child support orders do not specify anything about moving out of state.

1 Lawyer Answer
David N. Iancu
David N. Iancu
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: That depends on what your current orders say. The laws on removal are complicated and were recently changed. I strongly recommend seeking advice of counsel before doing anything in this case.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.