Clarksville, TN asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law and Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: Hi, How do I file a petition to modify my parenting plan without a lawyer?

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Sorry, but there is no "easy answer" to this: If you needed surgery, would you attempt to do it to yourself? Almost everyone says no, they would hire a professional to perform this service. However, rather than hire a lawyer, people will attempt complicated procedures and risk unfortunate consequences representing themselves in court. Be advised that you are held to the same standards as lawyers- to know all the rules of evidence and procedure. The simple answer to your question is 'just type up the petition yourself, take it to the court clerk's office, pay the filing fee and they will file it." However, it is MUCH more complicated than that- knowing what the petition should say, etc. If you choose to represent yourself, you first should do lots of internet legal research on the subject, and there are many free lawyer websites that contain lots of helpful information. It takes most people about 3 years to get through law school- keep that in mind as to how much research you should do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.