Asked in Tax Law for Michigan

Q: IL demanded I pay full year of State taxes even though I lived and worked only in MI . What legal help getting $ back?

Employer accidently sent first half of 2017 taxes to IL and IL demanded I pay second half. Had house in Cook county IL but lived and worked in MI entire year. What legal resources are best to use for recourse or simply a CPA issue? Ended up paying full year state taxes for both Michigan and IL.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew M Steiger
Andrew M Steiger
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Grosse Pointe, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You owe personal income tax to the state of your residence. Request a refund from the other state. Michigan and Illinois have a reciprocity agreement based on residence, so once you establish this a refund should follow.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.