Atlanta, GA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Georgia

Q: Can a landlord have people in my home before my move out? Can he sue me?

My ex and I signed the lease when we moved in paid a security deposit. My ex did damage to the house that the landlord had me pay for after the ex was gone. It was a domestic violence relationship and I filed restraining order removing him from the lease. I never got another lease with just me. My son and I lived here over 6 years. The landlord always complained we were messy house keepers. Anyway, can he sue me for damages? Also is he allowed to bring people to come in and clean and repair while I am here?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anitra Walker
Anitra Walker
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: In most cases, a landlord will withhold a portion (or all) of the security deposit to cover damages to the property which are considered beyond normal wear and tear. If the damages are more than the amount of the security deposit, the landlord will send a bill for this additional cost to repair. Ultimately, the landlord can sue a tenant for damages. If you believe the damages were caused by your ex, you can sue your ex for this amount.

You also asked about allowing third parties access to the property. Most lease agreements include clauses which allow servicers, contractors, or representatives of the landlord to peacefully enter the property at reasonable times for various reasons which include repairs, pest control and showing the unit to potential buyers. In addition, there may be a clause which allows third parties to enter in the case of an emergency. I would suggest having an attorney review the lease to determine whether your landlord is in breach.

Wishing you the best.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.