Asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota

Q: Why someone is asked to appear at court by passing a school bus when the stop arm was out instead of getting a ticket?

A police officer visited this person, who committed the infraction, to simple take a declaration. But instead of giving him/her a ticket he told him/her that he/she will receive a court citation. This happend a year ago. But the notification arrived few days ago. Is this the usual way to treat this kind of infraction in MN? No child was crossing the street yet when this person forgot to stop on the stop sign.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Minnesota: Normally a court appearance is required for a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor criminal charge. A traffic citation is a summons to court, unless the charge is a petty misdemeanor or "payable offense." The person named in the charge should go to court to try to prevent a conviction.

Jonathan Matthew Holson agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.