Richmond Hill, GA asked in Tax Law for Georgia

Q: I am new to Georgia. Am I required to relinquish my previous state residency?

I am a federal employee, not military. I have twins who are attending the University of Washington and I would need to retain my Washington State residency for in state tuition purposes. I relocated to Georgia for a job, otherwise I would no longer be employed by the government. I do not intend to make Georgia my permanent residence.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: If you don't intend to make Georgia your permanent residence then you're not a resident.

You will still be taxed by GA on your state source income; so you'll need to file a non-resident return.

Don't change your driver's license, don't register to vote, don't do anything that ties you to the state.

Every chance you get leave the state and document it.

The state may disagree but you're building your defense that you haven't established residence in GA so your previous state (WA) is still your resident state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.