Chicago, IL asked in Foreclosure and Landlord - Tenant for Missouri

Q: In MO Landlord passed away 6 months ago. House is in foreclosure or probate.Idk which. Who is responsible for repairs?

I received a letter from an attorney telling me to pay the rent to a local bank instead of the landlords son, which I had been doing. I contacted the bank about the heater needing repair. They told me that since they don’t own the property they are limited in what they can do. Should I pay for the repair myself and submit a receipt for an offset on the rent?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Missouri law provides a specific procedure for making repairs and deducting the cost from the rent. At the very least, you should notify both the bank and the lawyer IN WRITING of the habitability issues that need to be addressed and your intention to repair and deduct. For detailed information on the process, you should consult an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.