Asked in Traffic Tickets for Minnesota

Q: Should I hire an attorney for a Traffic misdemeanor citation received for not Yielding to pedestrian

The citation was given after the police officer called me.

She said I didn't drove past a pedestrian and I thought I drove past after the pedestrian had crossed the road.

She also said she had other witnesses. How should I proceed?

The charges are stated as

with reason 1. Traffic Regulation - Driver Fails to Yield to Pedestrian in Crosswalk-No Traffic Signals-1st Off-M

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Rogers, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Hiring an attorney certainly minimizes the consequences that you might face. But you have to weigh the costs of hiring an attorney vs. what it would cost to simply pay the fine.

Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: When a police officer issues a traffic citation without a traffic stop, there will generally be a lack of proof of identity of the driver. This is so, even when they have an ID on the vehicle plate. When the police officer calls on the phone, their goal is to get a person to admit that they were the driver of that vehicle at that time. If they get that admission, they may have the driver identity problem covered. But of course there are other defenses as well.

Most people have a goal of keeping a traffic ticket off of their driver's license record. To do that, you must go to court and try to get an outcome that will not result in a "conviction." A lawyer will be a big help, but cost some money. You may wish to call me or another lawyer to discuss.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.