Festus, MO asked in Consumer Law, Collections and Securities Law for Missouri

Q: how long do I have in jefferson county Mo. to file a dispute to a default judgement.

The reason for my absence from court was that I care for my mom that has alzheimers and dementia, and the morning of court my mom was in a bad way and i called the court clerk to ask for a continuance. I was told that I should have called a day earlier but I didn't know that my mom was gonna be in that kind of a shape. I care for her on my own and have ever since my dad passed away sept. 15 2017.

Also I was representing myself because of the mistakes and the rules of the fcra that they and the collection / attorney broke on their quest to collect. The Judge offered me a reason for the defence i was using for the motion to dismiss on the grounds the contract was unenforcable. he asked me on what grounds which I thought that was the grounds and i looked at him and kinda shrugged and he offered a grounds I guess and I thought maybe thats what i needed to say so I said yes and he immediatly denied me. That was on oct 2 2018. the next court was 2 months later. Thank you for any help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Read the guide I wrote on how to set aside a default judgment.


Also, I suspect you meant to refer to the (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) rather than the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). You might be too late for an FDCPA claim against the debt collector but it’s worth exploring that too.

I suggest you contact an attorney experienced in both of those areas of law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.