Saint Louis, MO asked in Personal Injury and Small Claims for Missouri

Q: If an insurance company decides against your claim against their client, how to pursue?

Last August I went to a city meeting. The parking lot was a mucky mess due to reconstruction. Leaving the meeting I walked across a grassy strip next to the parking lot to avoid the muck, stepped into an unmarked trench that lined a newly-installed parking curb, tripped and fell. The trench was 8 - 10" wide and 12" - 16" deep and impossible to see under poor parking lot lighting and a directional shadow. There was no signage, yellow tape or other warnings.

There's more details, but I'll try to shorten. Anyway, I took many photos of the conditions that night and the next day, at which time they had put up warning tape. I'm not severely injured but did receive EMS attention that night, visited a doctor 2 days later and had x-rays to make sure I had no fractures.

I'm shocked the city's insurance company refuses to pay the medical bills of about $700. No personal injury lawyer wants a case so small. I'm thinking of small claims court. What should I do?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar

A: A Missouri attorney could advise in the best possible manner, but your question remains open for two weeks. If there is no further medical treatment and no meaningful findings of injury in any follow-up examination, and these bills are the extent of damages, small claims could be an option. If there is a possibility of any additional injuries/damages, it would be advisable to speak with an attorney as to other forums. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.