Asked in Elder Law and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: If I suspect a POA agent of abusing principal's finances, is it up to me to ask for a court's review of expenditures?

Or, does a court review expenditures, as a matter of process, after a POA has been appointed? I can only guess it was a general POA. The principal (a PA resident) has, since, passed and, while I understand the POA was terminated with the principal's death, I fear the estate (small) is less than it should be. I know, for a fact, the agent put money from the principal's bank account in to his (agent's) own bank account. (He said the principal told him to.) So, what I'm asking is, does the expenditures by a POA go unchecked unless someone (i.e., heir) requests an audit by a court? Thank you for your time and information.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: this is a very broad question so at best can give a general answer. If this was a POA pursuant to a written General POA signed by the principal (as opposed to a court appointed guardian or agent) then there is not much oversight unless the principal or someone on behalf of the principal reports suspected abuse or self-dealing. since the principal is deceased, once an estate is opened any beneficiary can request an accounting/audit, and request information on the POAs actions during the period prior to death.

Nina Whitehurst agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.