Tualatin, OR asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Oregon

Q: Can the amount of child support be changed without notifying the parent who receives it?

I have received the same amount of child support for seven years now. My sons father has not changed jobs and is earning the same wage as before. However, the last 5 months I have received 1/4 of the court ordered amount. I found out that his girlfriend recently filed for child support of their daughter. Does that mean my child support for my son goes down that much?Can this happen without me being notified?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Hopefully your support is being collected for you by Oregon's Support Enforcement. You need to call them and find out why the amount forwarded to you has gone down. Some reasons it can go down could be he didn't pay the full amount or he lost or changed jobs and the maximum they can garnish is the amount you are getting. His girlfriend getting support could also be limiting the total amount they can garnish from his paycheck. But your judgment for child support should be unchanged unless and until you are notified of a motion to amend the support ordered. In that case the court could change it. But you do have a right to be notified. So for the present, you may be getting less money but he still owes you the difference so an arrearage is accruing that he continues to owe you. But this is just an educated guess. Do call support enforcement and find out from them what is going on.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.