Portland, OR asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Oregon

Q: If the father isn't on the birth certificate, do I already have sole custody? Do I need to file for it? How do I file?

I know who the father is but he won't comply with child support and I need to apply for custody of both of our kids. He is only on 1 birth certificate. I need to know how I do that. I have custody forms but it asks for paternity. We were never married.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Go to the child support division of your local district Attorney's office and apply for assistance with child support. They will take care of both child support and proving paternity. Once paternity is established you can use the court forms to apply for custody. Just be aware that the court can also award the father parenting time if he asks for that. If child support has already been ordered then there must have been an order establishing Paternity already. You can always hire an Attorney to help you sort this out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.