Florissant, MO asked in Family Law and Child Support for Missouri

Q: I'm still paying child support on a child that has turned 21, is there any way to get the money paid back?

My son dropped out of college December of 2018, at that time he was 20 years old and a full time student. The divorce decree say I will pay while he is enrolled as a full time student (4 year degree) and child support for him will end if he is not. Family court is still taking money out of my check. I am not in the rears. I was wondering if there is any way to get the money back that was paid to the other parent? Will family court automatically refund me the money that was paid or do I have to do something else?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristen Thurmond
Kristen Thurmond
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Talk to a local lawyer about what to file to get the money back. The sooner you file the easier it will be. The family support division has no idea about your child not attending full time so you have to get the order changed. The division only has an order that states you have to pay. It does not track when the requirements are no longer met or circumstances change. That burden is on the receiving parent and even then the receiving parent sometimes has to be persuaded to change it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.