Orlando, FL asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia

Q: My ex filed for a modification for custody/child support. I want to prolong it . How?

My ex filed for a modification for child custody / child support. We both have Joint custody me being the primary. I was served with a summons. The paper says I have 30 days to respond. How can I prolong that another 30 days and can I do it without legal representation? I am at transitional center and I am due to be released mid November. I want to prolong it so I have a fairer chance at fighting my case. I have the funds for a lawyer but I can't touch the funds until I am released. That's why I want to prolong this modification.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You have to respond in 30 days. Just respond as best you can. You need to provide the court with an address so you can get notices. The response doesn't have to be fancy. Just file a response in plain english addressing the allegations and make sure your address is noted. It must be filed with the clerk of court, and it may be done online.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.