Royal Oak, MI asked in Divorce for Michigan

Q: My wife and I have live at the same address for 27 years. Both of our names have been on the deed since 2003.

We have been talking about getting a divorce and she maintains that because the property was deeded to her prior to our marriage, I have no rights to it. What are my rights, please?

Thank you.


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Colman
Neil Colman
  • Clinton Township, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I would have to say that after 27 years of marriage, she's not going to receive the home as her sole and separate property. Whatever you do, I strongly urge you to retain the services of an experienced and knowledgeable family law attorney, especially in light of the comments she's made. Unless it is a short term marriage or a valid prenuptial agreement, she's not getting the property free of any claim you may have. One could take a position, in a short term marriage, that he/she should share in the increased value of the property from date of marriage to date of divorce. Hire an attorney. Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.