Seymour, TN asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: Can my husband adopt my child without contacting her biological dad he has never seen her nor does he want to

My 11 year olds biological farther signed a paper when I was 5 months pregnant with her that stated he did not want any prenatal rights my now husband wants to adopt her do I have to contact her farther in order for this to happen he has never seen her nor does he want to

1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You should consult with a local adoption attorney to discuss your rights and responsibilities. The biological father will need to be served with papers if his parental rights haven't already been terminated for some reason.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.